Monday 4 May 2009

The Orange Couch

I had a visit from another English teacher yesterday, and when she saw my couch she exclaimed: 'I have the exact same couch in my apartment! And so does my neighbour!'  In my experience, the furniture for the NET's come from some pool - obviously the cheapest! - but also the least likely to be chosen for any decor magazine.
The orange couch is not only orange, but a faux leather vinyl orange, and, more damning, not a really comfortable couch to sit or lounge on. The seat is too narrow, giving only 48cm of space, just enough to catch you behind the knees, so there is no leaning back and relaxing on this couch.
Then, the TV cabinet, cupboard and bed - made from a plywood covered with melamine in a dark brown with white trim - contribute to a rather gloomy picture.
Most of us manage to brighten things by adding individual touches in terms of the bedding, picture on the walls etc., but if you are a NET in Korea, and you are living with this same furniture, what are your thoughts? Can you live with it? Or do you just suffer it?
Or do you, like me and my friend, find it an absolute hoot and enjoy living in an art-deco meets trailer trash taste set-up?


No comments:

Post a Comment